The government had announced that all mobile subscribers, including those having pre-paid SIM cards, to have their phone number linked to Aadhaar without fail. There are over 100 crore mobile subscribers in India.
The Supreme Court had directed Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led central government on February 6, 2017, to register details of identity of every mobile user within a year. The court also directed the Centre to device a way so that each person with a pre-paid sim would have to fill and deposit a form whenever he or she recharges.
As per sources, all unlinked mobile phone numbers will be deactivated after February 2018. They said biometrics collected should be encrypted by the telecom company and sent to UIDAI at that moment itself and any storage of biometric by a service provider is a criminal offence punishable with up to three years’ imprisonment under the Aadhaar Act 2016.
How to link your SIM with Aadhaar
Here’s your step by step guide on how to link your SIM card with Aadhaar. There can be two case:
1) Linking your mobile number to Aadhaar for the first time
If you are linking your mobile number with Aadhaar for the first time, it needs to be done offline.
* Visit your nearest Aadhaar centre to get the Aadhar Update/Correction Form or download it from the UIDAI website.
* Fill out the form and submit it to the concerned person at the centre and mention on the form that only mobile number is to be updated.
* While submitting the update form, along with photocopy of your Aadhaar card you also need to provide photocopy of an Identity proof document such as PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID card
* After the form submission, your biometrics will be verified at the enrolment centre. Your thumb impression will be verified.
* After biometrics verification, you will be given an acknowledgement slip. Usually it takes 2-5 working days for the updation to happen but as per the UIDAI helpline the turnaround time for the updation is 10 days.
2) Update new mobile number to your Aadhaar
Your new mobile number can be updated in Aadhaar through simple online process. But for that you need have the existing number linked to your Aadhaar, functional and handy as the OTP to authenticate the updation would be sent to your existing number. Here is the process:
* Go to the UIDAI website and click on the tab ‘Aadhaar Update’. It will redirect you to the Aadhar Self-Service portal.
* Once you click on Aadhaar update, an OPT will be sent to your existing mobile number, and after submitting it you will be redirected to a new page, where you can update the desired details.
* Under ‘Select field(s) to update’, select ‘Mobile Number’. Now enter your new mobile number that you want to update in the database and submit. Your new mobile number will be linked to Aadhaar.
Source by indiatimes..Share: